American persimmon (Diospyros virginiana)
Medium 2 to 3 feet tall $35.00;
Large trees 3 to 5 feet tall $45.00;
Extra Large trees available this year 5 to 6 feet tall $55.00; X-Large sixes $65.00
Other cultivars are on hand, but are few in number.
- Celebrity - Crystal clear fruit nearly seedless with the texture of Kaki persimmon. Rated very high for disease resistance and very high for the quality of fruit. Closest to a kaki as you can get with the cold hardiness of Virginiana. Selected from the Jerry Lehman's crosses of Dollywood D128 X F58 male. Both are progeny of Miller and Early Golden. This tree comes from the Lehman breeding program.
Shipped late fall and early spring. Royalty of $3.00 goes to breeding of cultivars.
Sizes: Small and Medium sizes only.
- Deer Candy - Upright growing tree, fruit is orange and large for an American persimmon, ripens well into late November. This tree does hold its fruit well and drops over a long period of time with some fruit remaining on the tree into December. Fruit is 2 inches average and is great because of the long production season farther south where extending the growing season matters. Deer will check this tree daily for dropped fruit. Royalty of $3.00 goes to breeding of new Cultivars.
Field Grown and Container Grown. Sizes: M, L, XL, XXL (Size XXL must be picked up).
- Early Jewel = H118 - Very early, large sized fruit, redish colored fruit, soft when ripe, very high quality, fruit precocious and a consistent producer, bears seedless fruit south of the Ohio River due to it being a 90 Chromosome persimmon. Out of the late James Claypool Breeding Program.
Container Grown. Sizes available: S, M trees available
- 100-46 - Lehman's Delight From the Breeding work of Jerry Lehman of Terra Haute Indiana, one of his newest creations. Very large fruit, smooth flesh, clear pulp, and made to be loved. While not a large tree it is one of the heaviest producing persimmon I have ever witnessed. With very good flavor and smooth flesh, this fruit is all about taste. Royalty of $3.00 goes to breeding of new Cultivars.
Container grown S, M, sizes available
- Prok - Persimmon was a seedling from Cornell University breeding program grown out by John Gordon of Amherst NY. Produces very large fruit, ripens in late August here in Kentucky, has few seeds. It is my favorite persimmon for cooking and eating out of hand. Ripens long before frost.
Container grown S, M sizes available
Asian Persimmon Hybrid (Diospyros Virginiana X Kaki) -
These very fine persimmons have been tested and selected for many years. They have been selected over many others for their taste, size and cold hardiness. Small $30.00, Medium $40.00, Large $50.00, (X Large $60 and up (for pick up only)), Zone 5b and UP. S, M, L, XL, XXL Sizes available. Can ship up to 84 inches tall
- Kasandra - A Hybrid of Great Wall crossed by an F2 Male of Rosseyanka Hybrid back crossed to Virginiana. Tested cold hardy to - 16 degrees with no evidence of freeze damage. It is a large fruit measuring about 2.50 to 2.75 inches and is delicious when ripe. Hybridized by David Lavergne, has a Brix test of 21 and ripens mid-season. Luscious bright green foliage looks like a true Kaki.
Container Grown trees // Sizes: Small $30.00; Medium $40; Large $50.00, X-Large $60.00 (X-Large for pick up only) // Zone 5b and up
Sizes S, M, L, XL available Can Ship up to 84 inches tall.
Click here to enlarge pictures.
Mikkusu kaki Hybrid = JT-02 - A true 50/50 hybrid of Josephine V. X Taishu Kaki. Bred in Japan, imported by Jerry Lehman in 2006 and grown in several locations in the USA. Medium to large fruit, square-ish shape, is an astringent type till soft when it's a mouthwatering tasty 2.5 to 3.0-inch fruit. Smallish tree, not vigorous at all, is precocious and has spreading growth habits. It must be staked to support fruit load as it is a very heavy producer. Very cold hardy, has never had any freeze damage or cold injury.
Field Grown trees // Sizes S, M, L. Zone 5b and Zone 8 / tested to -16 Degrees F.
Click here to enlarge picture.
Asian Persimmon - Diospyros Kaki - These 2 very fine persimmons have been tested. Selected for many years over many others, primarily for their cold hardiness, they have been tested down to minus -16 for the last 2 years. Their taste, size and productivity are excellent.
- Cinebuli - NON-Astringent Asian Persimmon, which comes to us from Bulgaria. It is sweet crunchy when hard and a medium size fruit that ripens mid-season. It has had only minor freeze damage while we have grown this cultivar here for the past 8 years during one of the coldest winters we have ever experienced (the Polar express) with temps dipping into the mid-teens. There was tip burn but this tree took it in stride and produced the next spring. It is a smallish growing tree with beautiful foliage. Field Grown trees // Sizes: Small $35.00, Medium $45.00, Large $55.00 Zone 6 and up 8 / tested to -16 Degrees F. Quantities limited
- Picudo from Italy - This tree is also know as Costata. A tree of great vigor, regularly fertile and very productive. Its very decorative foliage is a beautiful bright red color in autumn and accompanies fruiting. Its cold hardiness is high. Fruit mid-season, early flowering, good size, conical and ribbed, it is a beautiful yellow-orange. The skin is thin, light and creamy flesh is soft, tasty and pleasant, the taste is good, their ability to dry is good. The fruit are of an astringent type. Large $55.00 / Zone 7 to 8 and up/ Tree is hardy here in Zone 6a in most winters, temps of minus 8 to 10 cause damage to smaller limbs / TREE TUBES RECOMMENDED
Home Page |
Other Fruit Trees |